November 13, 2008

Blessings in Times of Sadness

Yesterday was a very emotionally hard day for me. My cat whom I got as a 4 week old kitten died yesterday morning, she was 8 yrs old. Despite the day's circumstances, I kept my plans to go visit my grandmother yesterday afternoon. While I went to visit Bushia, the girl's spent a few hours at Papa and Grandma's house. (Bushia mean's grandmother in Polish, and that's what we call her most of the time). Bushia lives in an assisted living home. She was very surprised and very happy to see me. She hasn't been her happy self for the past 5 day's due to some hearing loss from ear wax (she is getting drops to loosen the wax which causes her to not be able to hear normally, but that will be all taken care of at her dr appt tomorrow). Usually she keeps busy going to play Bingo and to Art and Music Class and to different meetings they have there, but because of the hearing loss she just stayed in her room. Bushia is 94 yrs old and we have always been very close. Even though she is up in age she is still very smart, funny and so with it. Her mind is like a 70 yr old, no kidding, and she does not look her age! I am so blessed to have special time with her, even though it is not as often as it use to be. I usually visit her 2 - 3 times a month. While I was visiting, we talked and did some cross word puzzles. She was laughing at how much easier it was for me to find those words that she was so sure were NOT in that puzzle. She would say "You are kidding me, you found it!?!" Since I was there at her dinner time, we had dinner together in the main dining room which was so nice, and good food! After dinner, we visited more and then it was time for me to leave. She continued to thank me for coming to visit her and told me how happy it made her. It's a blessing for me to have that time with her and in return we blessed each other by being together. Here are some pictures of my dear grandmother.
At my parents house celebrating Easter - 2000

Grandma and I (again at my parents house) - 2003

At a family wedding in 2006. She still always has her sense of humor. That is her making funny faces with my cousins! Before that picture was taken we were dancing with her while she was in her wheel chair.

Grandma and I outside in front of her home - 2008

No comments: